[Ganesh Sittampalam's original question]
I've voted to close this question* because it directly corresponds to this off-topic question from the area51 proposal (about economics and policy) and I think it's important we be consistent. However, if we do now feel that this question is just about ok, what can we do to change the definition of the site?
[Expansion/update by Chris W. Rea]
* Note: The question above has since been deleted by the original poster. But, here are some others that might fall under the same reasoning:
- Is inflation a good or bad thing? Why do governments want some inflation?
- Why do governments borrow money instead of printing it?
- Do banks keep their reserves at the Fed in cash or can they be kept in US Treasuries?
- Why does China keep their currency artificially low? Why is that a problem for the United States?
Are such economics and policy questions appropriate for the site?
When I (Chris W. Rea) wrote the sample off-topic question at Area 51, "In a recession, should the Federal Reserve intervene? If so, what measures are appropriate?", I was trying to restrict more advanced academic questions as there is likely to be a future StackExchange site for economists and graduate-level economics students. But, personally, I think the basics ought to be OK to discuss here.