"The most amazing achievement of the computer software industry is its continuing cancellation of the steady and staggering gains made by the computer hardware industry." - Henry Petroski
"What if we didn't take it to our limit...wouldn't we be forever dissatisfied ?" - Doug Scott
"Problems are inevitable. Problems are soluble." - David Deutsch
"The incremental increase in systemic complexity is rarely if ever recognized as a problem that additional complexity can't solve." - Charles Hugh Smith (OfTwoMinds blog)
"If you don’t make mistakes, you’re not working on hard enough problems. And that’s a big mistake." - Frank Wilczek
"Only those that risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." – T.S. Eliot
"Engineers turn dreams into reality" - Giovanni Caproni (in Hayao Miyazaki's The Wind Rises)
"When an Oxford man walks into the room, he walks in like he owns it. When a Cambridge man walks into the room, he walks in like he doesn't care who owns it." - my grandmother
"Always train your doubt most strongly on those ideas that you really want to be true." - Sean Carroll
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman
"On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died." - Adlai E. Stevenson
"Therefore Simplicio, come either with arguments and demonstrations and bring us no more Texts and authorities, for our disputes are about the Sensible World, and not one of Paper." - Salviati to Simplicio in Galileo's Dialogue On Two World Systems (1632)
"The larger the island of knowledge, the longer the shoreline of wonder." - Ralph W. Sockman
"I never enlighten anyone who has not been driven to distraction by trying to understand a difficulty or who has not got into a frenzy trying to put his ideas into words. When I have pointed out one corner of a square to anyone and he does not come back with the other three, I will not point it out to him a second time." - Confucius
"The way to bring about the new age of peace and enlightenment is to assume it has already started" - ?
Member for 4 years, 1 month
0 profile views
Last seen Jan 8 at 10:05
- Stack Overflow 23.1k 23.1k 1010 gold badges7171 silver badges128128 bronze badges
- Software Engineering 2.5k 2.5k 11 gold badge1515 silver badges1717 bronze badges
- Personal Finance & Money 2.2k 2.2k 55 silver badges2020 bronze badges
- Science Fiction & Fantasy 2.2k 2.2k 11 gold badge1515 silver badges1818 bronze badges
- TeX - LaTeX 1.7k 1.7k 11 gold badge1111 silver badges1212 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 196 Why are variables "i" and "j" used for counters?
- 114 Compelling examples of custom C++ allocators?
- 112 Create xkcd style diagram in TeX
- 63 How can I remove the top and right axis in matplotlib?
- 61 Trying to identify "I will measure the dust" story
- 59 SSE SSE2 and SSE3 for GNU C++
- 57 Why does a small change to this Scala code make such a huge difference to performance?
- View more network posts →